.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Four years and three days ago (I have been a bit busy), I woke up way too late to get to work on time to what I thought was NPR's version of "War of the Worlds", because I couldn't believe that what was coming out of the radio was true.

There was a dinner that night, or maybe it was the next night, with my freaked out ex-New Yorker friends, one of whom had a double whammy because her brother in law is Navy brass and works at that five-sided building which also got hit.

(It was a while before she heard about him, because he had been on stretcher duty for a while, and then been sent home. The phone lines were, of course, impossible. Eventually someone thought to email her.)

Ever since then I have made sure my ass was up at 5:45 am for a moment of silence, and the ceremonial Noo Yorker Cawfee and a Roll. But Best Friend's conversations with Navy BIL. The weekend after she got him on the phone to check in and asked how he was, and he, without missing a beat, quoted the late, great Warren Zevon and said "I enjoy every sandwich". On the one year anniversary, she called and talked to him at about the time he got back from his lunch and he was still enjoying his sandwiches.

To Cap'n Bill (and, of course, TLGWZ), a salute.

In the light of the recent events in this country, it's a double plus good idea. I very much enjoyed the cookie I was given as a snack on Sept 11, I enjoyed putting food together for my church's Evensong reception (the pizza was praised by a New Yorker, our guest organist, which pleased the cook no end), and I certainly enjoyed the "Quality Control" nibbles I had. I was with friends doing something I loved, as I observed the anniversary (and thought about those affected by Katrina). I hope you were too.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home