.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, June 25, 2005

It Really Is June

It's hard to remember this sometimes in the fogbelt, and I was a bit swoonier than usual due to my return from the Actual Hot Weather.

But, at the Farmer's Market to see Biggles take over the Selling of the MEAT at the Fatted Calf stall, I found ...

The seasons's first HEIRLOOM TOMATOES!

Tomato Sandwich, here I come.

Pix when my computer recognizes my camera again.

Edited to add: Here's Biggles being the Maestro of Meat:

Meat Lovin' Phool


P. S. Pretty much all the sour cherries on my tree are ripe. Now I really have to get cracking with the Shuna's Perfect Pie Crust attempt, to break in the new KitchenAid.

Comments:
Gee...my heirloom tomatoes are all at an embryonic stage. I am really, really looking forward to the Black Krim, which I grew last year (a horrible growing year here in Michigan)...very tasty. The most interesting plants are the Italian tree tomatoes...they've already grown as high as their tall bamboo stakes, and show no indication of stopping...every six inches or so down the plant are sprays of little egg-shaped green tomatoes.

Pie crust...I'm terrified of pie crust, LOL, because my mother's is so good, it's a tough act to follow. The only decent one I ever made was a short crust (for a pumpkin-cream-cheese pie, no less)...it was basically Scottish shortbread, so why wouldn't it turn out well? LOL One of these days...
 
Ours aren't the tastiest things around ... THIS week. The tomato guy steered us towards a yellow one whose name I forget, which are ok, but they will get better. And there will be boxes of Brandywines, not a single solitary one. It's been a horribly wet year.

Black Krim are very nice!

I am on an eternal search for pie crust - the food processor way works pretty well and I have learned a couple of tricks that help my chances. Not as good as my late grandmother's - again, a tough act to follow. My problem is I usually eat myself silly during June (my birth month) and thus am cutting back on pie practice during the prime stone fruit and berry months.
 
Charlotte,

how sweet of you to call it perfect. Me myself I have altered it a few times to include cornmeal and raw sugar and I must say that it is very resilient.

Because of a family emergency I will, indeed, be unable to teach my SLT classes this summer. I hope to return to teaching in the fall.

I will also hope to return in time for okra, corn, tomatoes and melons.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home